Because attention attracts gratitude and gratitude expands joy, it's time for Thankful Thursday, a weekly pause to express appreciation — big, small, puny, profound— for people, places, things and more.
I make lists. Every day, a new list. Every day, a fresh start.
My gratitudes this week are many:
1. Signs, like this bottlecap, that reset my perspective.
2. Summer skirts
3. Wedge sandals
5. A visit to a dermatologist who finds no reason to cut away my skin.
6. Rosé — Not long ago (okay, last year) I thought this supersweet blush was a wannabe wine for cheap teens trying to appear sophisticated (okay, that was me guzzling drecky wine coolers). But I recently discovered dry, crisp and refreshing rose. So summer, so good.
7. Feeling appreciated, if even by strangers (see #8).
8. A woman I don't know called me "sweetheart." Isn't that a warm endearment?
9. A friend has been hurt, low, and not himself. Yesterday we talked, and it was the best 20 minutes of the day.
10. This one-line poem:
Mother Told Me This
Morning on the Phone
If you don't see the light, don't stay.
— Nahshon Cook, from The Killing Fields and Other Poems
Please join me. What are you thankful for today?